Pearls of Wisdom I receive by going within and asking.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Attitude of Gratitude

I’ve heard more than one sage say that when we take life for granted the first thing we experience is boredom. If we continue for an extended length of time down this path, depression sets in. Although existence offers such abundance, it is easy to slip into thought patterns, which cause us to forget and take our precious lives for granted.

When I was growing up, I was fortunate to have a mother who had no tolerance for boredom. If I ever complained of being bored she’d say, “Boredom is not allowed in this house. Find yourself something to do.” Consequently, I have never suffered much from boredom or depression, although I have had my share of suffering.

It’s my theory that if I could focus on gratitude 100% of the time, I would experience total well being, both mentally and physically. This is not to say I wouldn’t have illnesses, set backs or challenges, I just wouldn’t suffer from them. So it’s my practice to make a daily list, either in my mind or on paper, of as many things as I can think of, for which to feel grateful. If I’m having a particularly challenging day and it’s hard to even think of things, I just say “thank you” over and over and watch what arises mentally. Sometimes, I’m quite surprised at what pops up that I’m thankful for. I’ve been doing this practice for 15 years or more, and I must say, I haven’t reached 100% yet, but I do think this theory is a good one. It works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My purpose and vision is to live an authentically responsible life in alignment with my True Self, joyfully expressing my creative nature, nurturing and fostering a heart alive with wonder and awe. Meditation, tai chi, self-inquiry, reflection, therapy, and an extensive reading of Western psychology and Eastern spirituality, have helped me to develop a serious commitment to living in the moment in peace and joy. Through my persistent questioning regarding troublesome aspects of my own life, I have cultivated effective techniques to guide myself in learning how to recognize, examine and transform the beliefs I hold that cause suffering in my life. Love, gratitude, and surrender to what is, is the key to living a life in flow.

Followers